Tuesday, April 15, 2014

CJC and Me

Going to the University of Florida has been the experience of a lifetime. I have met some of the best people ever, I have had some of the funnest times I think I will have have in my entire life, and I have had amazing professors who have taught me more than they will ever know.

Going to the greatest school in Florida has also provided me with the opportunity to learn and practice what I am learning in the great field of journalism. CMIR, or the Center for Media Innovation and Research, has put me in contact with amazing professors and mentors like Andy Selepak, Bridget Grogan, Mark Leeps and many more.

I have had the chance to do radio work for the WRUF-FM with amazing directors Tom Krynski and Forrest Smith where I got hands on experience like calling the station from a site and doing a phoner, doing radio interviewers with people all over Florida, and writing scripts to be read live on air.

On top of that, for two semesters I worked as a reporter for WUFT where I got to make VO-SOTs, VO-B-VOs, and Packages for the 5 and 6 o' clock news.


One of the coolest stories I got to do was literally playing with guard dogs all day that were trained to help you with pretty much anything around the house. From going opening the doors for you, to getting you food from the fridge, to even knowing how to call an ambulance if you were in a state of emergency. 


Some days where easier than others. I could get out on the field, conduct several interviews, get tons of b-roll, come back to the station, get multiple assignments done and still have time to spare before I watched my work air on TV. Days were hectic, scary, and had me on the edge of my seat just seconds away from tears... but everyday was a journey and a learning experience that I wouldn't give up for anything.

From my very first day in the newsroom over a year ago, where I was so nervous I cried as I walked into the building, up to today where I openingly laugh, debate, and share ideas with my peers, directors, and producers at CMIR, everyday has taught me something new about my school, the world, and myself. Being here has taught me that I am capable of so much and that nothing can deter me from what I want to do in this life, to share stories with the world.


Love you CMIR.


No comments:

Post a Comment